Kerala was not yet born. It was part of the 'Thirukkochi' state. The face of the cultural capital of Kerala was not so charming as it is today. It was a time when the medial facilities were practically out of reach of most people in central Kerala. Impelled by the aiding spirit of the healing ministry of Jesus Christ and the awareness of the crying need in the field of health care to the sick and suffering, the Archdiocese of Trichur took up the challenge. Thus, the organization had a humble beginning on 17th December 1951 as a small dispensary. It is a befitting memorial of the Sacerdotal Silver Jubilee of the late Bishop of Trichur, Rt. Rev. Dr. George Alapatt, the first patron of the hospital. In 1952, the hospital started its service with four rooms and 20 beds, two retired part-time doctors and two nurses of the Holy Cross Congregation, Sr. Albertina and Sr. Alfrida. This was the first and the only private hospital in Thrissur during the period.
At the time of inception, the hospital functioned in one part of the old building of St. Mary's Thope Minor Seminary, Thrissur. His Eminence Cardinal N.T. Gilroy of Australia blessed the very first hospital building on 30th December 1952 in the presence of Cardinal V.Gracias, H.E. Martin Lucas, SVD, the then Apostolic Internuncio to India inaugurated the institution on 23rd April, 1953. In the same year, Cardinal Tisserant blessed the first operation theatre. It is 55 years since then that Jubilee Mission Hospital has been rendering health care to the sick, irrespective of cast or creed, rich or poor.
The School of Nursing was started in the year 1966 and the hospital was recognized by the Indian Medical Council (IMC) for Internship Training of Doctors (CRRI) in the year 1971. The hospital experienced a steady growth due to the committed and dedicated service of the doctors, nurses and other staff, the support of the general public and above all by the Divine Providence. Over the years, JMH has become synonym for Cleft Lip and Palate Surgery, treatment of Snake-bite and Burns. The hospital opened up new horizons of health care to the common people from different parts of Thichur, Palakkad and Malappuram with the addition of the super speciality departments of Cardiology and Nephrology in the year 1998. Other super speciality departments of Urology, Gasteroenterology, Neurology, Neuro Surgery, Endocrinology, Gastro Surgery, etc were soon added to the services of the hospital.
In the year 2003, Jubilee Mission Hospital was recognized as a teaching hospital by the MCI and opened the Medical College and College of Nursing. Today, the JUBILEE MISSION MEDICAL COLLEGE AND RESEARCH INSTITUTE, THRISSUR a christian minority institution established and administered by the Jubilee Mission Hospital Trust, a charitable organisation under the Archdiocese of Trichur has five institutes placed under it:
- Jubilee Mission Medical College Hospital (JMMCH)
- Jubilee Mission Medical College (JMMC)
- Jubilee Mission College of Nursing (JMCON)
- Jubilee Mission School of Nursing (JMSON)
- Jubilee Mission College of Allied Health Sciences (JMCAHS)